Archibald Knox Gold Pendant for Liberty
Gold pendant with an openwork entrelac design from the drawing board of Archibald Knox and dating from circa 1905. Set with a central blister pearl drop and with a turquoise matrix lower drop, this pendant…
‘Lady on The Seine’ by Dietz Edzard*
Ornately framed oil on canvas by the German born artist Dietz Edzard (1893-1963). This is an atmospheric half length portrait of an elegantly dressed young woman taking refreshment whilst seated on a verandah raised above…
Loetz ‘Candia’ Vase with Silver Overlay
Little cabinet vase from Loetz in opaque ‘Candia’ glass with a trefoil rim, further decorated with an applied Art Nouveau ‘Silberiris’ design in pure silver. Loetz collaborated with a company in the US known as…
WMF Flower Dish
Pewter flower dish from WMF with the original green cut glass removable liner. So Art Nouveau, with its flowing outline, featuring an openwork whiplash design framing leaves and berries of ivy. Originally electro-plated but most…
Tel: +44 (0)7802 872363
Eisenacher Motorenwerk Brass Box*
Stytlish brass cigar box made by WMF for the east German company Eisenacher Motorenwerk in the early 1950’s.
With a lightly hammered finish to the sides and ends, and the splendid image of an open-topped veteran car and driver in repoussé fashion on the lid, together with the name of the company.
The box is raised on four rounded bun feet and is lined with south American cedarwood in the traditional cigar box manner. Inset into the wood on the underside of the hinged lid is an enamelled metal badge depicting the company logo.
Showing the running ostrich maker’s mark of WMF on the underside and in good overall condition with some surface scratching which we’ve not attempted to polish out.
The box measures a fraction below 18 cm wide by 10 cm deep (the lid is a little over this size) and standing a touch over 6.5 cm high.
EMW, as they were more generally known, had a chequered and interesting history, even entering a solitary Formula One race as a constructor in 1953. The company finally closed in 1991 and part of the original factory is now the Eisenach Car Museum